Water Damage Insurance Claim FAQs

My insurance company denied my water damage claim due to “failure to maintain property.” The claim adjuster determined that the damage was caused by an ongoing leak but I disagree. Can you help get my claim paid?

Maybe. This is a common excuse insurance companies use to deny water damage claims. A thorough investigation must be done to determine the true cause and origin of the damage. This requires use of specialized technology that some adjusters do not use. Our public adjusters and insurance appraisers use state-of-the-art moisture meters and thermographic imaging to establish cause and origin of water damage which can be illusive nature. This has helped us obtain settlements for claims that were previously denied or underpaid by insurance companies.

Will my insurance cover water damage from a flooded basement?

If the water damage in the basement was caused by a burst pipe, sewer overflow or similar then the damages could be claimed under a standard homeowner or business insurance policy. In contrast, if the water damage was caused by melting waters, storms, or overflowing rivers, then your homeowner or business insurance would not cover the flood damages in your basement.

What’s the difference between a water damage insurance claim, flood insurance claim and storm damage claim?

Standard homeowner or business insurance policies usually cover water damage where the cause was “sudden and accidental.” This does not include damages caused by “Acts of God” such as mass flooding which often times occurs during or after a hurricane, tornado or windstorm.

A flood claim is different from a water damage claim and a storm claim. Click here to learn more.

My insurance company has refused to pay for water damage from a flood but it paid for water damage a few years ago that resulted from a toppled water heater. Am I being penalized for an earlier claim?

Insurance companies look at water damage from two different perspectives. Water damage from natural flooding such as when a river overflows is not covered by a typical homeowner’s insurance policy. Those damages would need to be claimed through a policy purchased through the National Flood Insurance Policy (NFIP). Water damage from a pipe burst, overflowing appliances, or in your case, a water heater should be claimed through a standard homeowner or business policy.

I have both roof damage and water damage from an old and neglected leaking roof. Will insurance cover my claim?

You may have a water damage claim but not a roof damage claim. Insurance companies typically have a “wear and tear” exclusion and basic maintenance clauses. This means that property owners cannot expect the insurance company to cover items that are simply at the end of their lifecycle or that have not been properly maintained. However, most will cover any resulting water damage.

Will my insurance premium increase if I file a water damage claim?

Maybe. Since water damage from a broken pipe, water heater leak, toilet overflow or similar are sometimes preventable, insurance companies can increase rates and/or charge a renewal surcharge. These surcharges may apply for up to 3 years.
A public insurance adjuster can help determine if it’s in your best financial interest to submit a claim for water damage.

My water damage claim was denied. Can a public adjuster reverse a denied claim?

Maybe. Our public adjusters have won hundreds of settlements for claimants who had previously denied and underpaid water damage insurance claims. Take a look. Hiring a public adjuster ensures that your claim will be thoroughly investigated and properly valued and documented.

You could have many options if your claim has been delayed, denied or underpaid. A trusted and experienced public adjuster can determine your best course of action. We can help.